What would life be like without really good questions?

  1. What is the difference between art therapy, dance/movement therapy & expressive arts therapy?

    Each single-arts approach to therapy (art, music, dance…) utilizes its own modality in healing environments. Expressive Arts Therapy is, by nature, multi-modal and nurtures the blending and integrating of the arts modalities. Believing that expression, in and of itself, is healing, the Expressive Arts Therapist calls upon her/his own creativity and training in the different arts approaches to determine which modality or combination of modalities is needed in any given moment in time.

  2. Do you have to be a therapist or have a degree to take this training?

    No. This training is for those of us who learn best through a combination of experiential exercises, group and individual processing and theoretical application. Students come to this training with a desire to feel freer, more confident and creative, more joyful, more centered and clear, about their professional direction and more deeply in touch with their own spirituality.

  3. You mention I can earn college credits and C.E.U.s?

    Some schools like Antioch, Union Institute, and Schools that allow Independent Study will give credit for students who do this work and write me a 10 page paper. Each state has specific schools that are willing to make this work for students interested in Expressive Arts since most schools do not teach it. It’s up to the student to discover if and how they can create this arrangement. I have had students do this both in California and Washington state. They will, though, have to pay the University also. My first year in Spokane we made an arrangement with Eastern Washington University. Both the student and I spoke to faculty at the University to make that happen. I am a licensed provider with the California Board of Behavioral Sciences (BBSE). and the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC).

  4. Must you become a therapist to practice expressive arts?

    No. However, your education and expertise in the field you choose to work in must fit together. For example, you need to be currently licensed as a psychotherapist to practice expressive arts in psychotherapy. If you are a registered counselor you may use these modalities as a registered counselor. If you are a consultant or an educator, you may use these learnings in your work place. You need not have any degree, certification, registration, license to share the skills and exercises you learn in the training with other populations. For example, volunteering at a school, hospital, counseling center.

  5. How do I become certified? registered?

    Dr. Goldberg has been granting national certification to her students since 1986. After successful completion of the 216 hour training, you will receive a Nationally Recognized Certificate and a Title of C.E.A.P. (Certified Expressive Arts Practitioner).

    The International Expressive Arts Therapy Association (I.E.A.T.A.) was formed in the early 1990s to create a global community encouraging the arts in healing. Professional recognition is given to psychotherapists who have worked in the field of expressive arts. Requirements to become a R.E.A.T. (Registered Expressive Arts Therapist) include: licensure as a psychotherapist, a master’s degree, an Institute Training led by an R.E.A.T., a studio arts practice, and 2,000 hours of supervised practice.

    You may also apply your hours towards the International Registration with I.E.A.T.A.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4